Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Drake passage

Yesterday was a relatively quiet day. We are experiencing what they refer to as “Drake Lake” where the swells are only 10 feet. Because of this we are making excellent time and should arrive in the South Shetland islands by tonight so we may have time to do a landing! Had a little bit of snow today as well. Despite the fact that the swells are mild, people aren’t feeling too great. We lost several of our group at various moments of the day as they battled nausea. I love the gentle rocking. Yesterday I cut a scopolamine patch in half and am wearing that. This has had the added benefit for drying out any nasal secretions, because of course now I have a cold. So altogether while I am somewhat drowsy, I am not the least bit seasick and I am almost disappointed that I played it safe. On the other hand, after watching more than one person hurl in public, it’s probably wise. Yesterday we learned about birds and whales, ID and some medical stuff, such as how to euthanize a beached whale that is suffering. The birds we saw were some petrols and a smaller albatross called a sooty albatross. Then there is the northern petrol. Coordinates today: S 59 degrees, 22.668’; W 64 deg 7.537 minutes. We did get our parkas which are very large for everyone. Mine is so big on me that I feel like a large blue marshmallow smurf when I wear it. Not so many great pictures, unless you like blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment