Thursday, November 28, 2013

Brazilian side of Iguazu falls

Looking over the edge, this rainbow was more than 180 degrees!

Wall of rushing water...

Today we had a 1/2 day on the Brazil side of Iguazu falls.  This meant exiting Argentina, entering Brazil (stamp, stamp), and then back to Argentina (stamp).  Kind of fun getting all of those stamps in my passport.  It was just two of us today with Silvio.  My new friend for the day is Oliver, who is also from California but living in BA for 6 months or so.  The Brazil side of the falls is less impressive as far as getting close in but it is much better at capturing the full extent of the falls.  Imagine, if you can, a waterfall about 4 times the size of Niagara falls.  A guide said that the only people who go off the falls are suicides, the last one being 3 mos ago.  No way you could do this in a barrel!  There seems to be two main levels, each one a 200+ foot drop.  And of course, you can´t capture the whole thing in just one camera photo so photographs just don´t do it justice.  You can´t even see all of it with just one view point.  You have to walk all over, and they have designed these metal walkways that go over the water so you can feel the roar in your bones and you get soaked by the spray and the rainbows seem just beyond your reach.  And the little tiny falls that would be described as mere rivulets here would be considered very impressive by American standards (say, Yosemite at its best for example).  Would you agree Andrea?  So that was a nice morning and then Oliver and I had lunch at a restaurant in Iguazu.  Turns out we are both headed back to BA today and he lives just down the street from my hotel so may help guide me around BA tomorrow.

A completely random digression if I may- the other night I was in my hotel room and turned on the TV. I was so tired. It was animal planet and I instantly recognized the man on the screen.  Why, it´s Jackson!  He and I used to work together back in the day at the Boulder Humane Society.  He helped me buy my first guitar and here he is playing his guitar for cats.  Wow, that is bizarre, to see his voice dubbed over in Spanish halfway around the world.  I guess I don´t watch that much TV and I had no idea he had his own cat-whisperer type show.  Good for you Jackson!  Definitely a step up from where we were back then.  But then Amanda (Canadian friend from yesterday) was like, oh yeah, Jackson Galaxy, he´s real popular in Canada.  OK then.

Today, will fly to Buenos Aires. No stamps.


No comments:

Post a Comment